Health and Wellness
Stress & Cortisol
Cortisol is not a good or bad hormone; it simply does what it is designed to do. If you’re under stress your adrenal glands will produce more cortisol and adrenaline, your stress hormones. The problem is that many of us are under constant, prolonged stress. This causes our adrenal glands to continually produce additional cortisol and adrenaline. The longer we stay in this constant state of stress and keep on pushing our adrenal glands to make more and more cortisol and adrenaline, the more we will eventually reach a point where our adrenals can’t produce enough cortisol and adrenaline. When this happens we call it adrenal exhaustion or adrenal fatigue, and that is when a whole host of other health problems creep in.
Our bodies are designed to handle a great deal of sudden stress. If a saber tooth tiger jumps out in front of us we are supposed to run or get ready for the fight of our life. It’s called the “fight or flight” mode. Unfortunately our bodies are not designed to be in that “fight or flight” mode 24/7. We are supposed to get away from that stressful situation and move into what is called the “resting and digesting” mode. This is when the body recovers and strengthens.
Your Body Harmony sessions alone, or with Virtual Visual Escape, will not only cause the manufacture and release of endorphins in your body’s system, but this state of euphoria will cause cortisol to subside.
Let’s Talk About Endorphins
Endorphins are among the brain chemicals known as neurotransmitters, which function to transmit electrical signals within the nervous system. At least 20 types of endorphins have been demonstrated in humans. Endorphins can be found in the pituitary gland, in other parts of the brain, or distributed throughout the nervous system.
Stress and pain are the two most common factors leading to the release of endorphins. Endorphins interact with the opiate receptors in the brain to reduce our perception of pain and act similarly to drugs such as morphine and codeine.
In addition to decreased feelings of pain (physically, mentally and emotionally), secretion of endorphins leads to feelings of euphoria, modulation of appetite, and enhancement of the immune response. With high endorphin levels we feel less pain and fewer negative effects of stress, because of the decrease in the emergency trigger response reaction Cortosol. While the role of endorphins and other compounds as potential triggers of this euphoric response has been debated, it is at least known that the body does produce endorphins in response to prolonged, continuous exposure to pleasure experiences through the human senses.
Good Ways to Increase Endorphins
You have many natural ways to do this. For example:
- You can laugh a lot (Go ahead – Create your own environment at your Body Harmony session. Give yourself permission to laugh.)
- Nurturing massage or body work (Such as Body Harmony session)
- Hot and cold compress (Body Harmony session provides this too)
- Pleasant smells (Natural Aroma Therapy is EVERYWHERE at Body Harmony Place)
- Being around people who edify, affirm and speak kind words to you, about you (You are respected – admired and edified always at Body Harmony Place)
- You can eat spicy food (Now can’t help you there!)
- You engage in deep breathing (When you are more relaxed than you have ever been, you’re going to breath deep naturally. Body Harmony session do this to you!)
- You can have chiropractic adjustments
- Listen to music you most enjoy (Have we got music for you! You can watch what you’re listening to at Body Harmony Place)
- You can eat chocolate (Of course! DARK – RICH and NATURAL! We have this for you!)
- You can exercise Yes! You can!!
Any of these activities can increase the levels of endorphins and enkephalins in the body, giving you a general feeling of happiness and wellbeing. This can be true for back pain or pain in the neck or other extremities, arthritis pain, fibromyalgia pain, or neuropathic pain (nerve pain). Any sickness or disease can be overcome when the soul and spirit of the person is at peace.